Costeggiola – Church of Sant’Antonio Abate
edited by “Soave in Art”
As its name refers to, Costeggiola is built on a small costa, or hillside, surrounded by beautiful hills in the midst of the Tramigna valley, an area nicknamed “Valley of the Cherries”. The surrounding area is cultivated, not only with cherry trees, but also with vineyards and olive groves. Costeggiola is known for their “Rufiolo”, a local pastry born around the end of the 1800s and beginning of the 1900s. The parish church is dedicated to Sant’Antonio Abate. The church originated as a small chapel in the 16th century and was later expanded and then incorporated into the current building, in 1927. It has a rectangular floor plan with three naves. The inside in the Classical style, while the façade is Romanesque.
The artwork in the church is mostly from the last century or the current one.
On the left, just after entering, is a marble bas-relief showing Saint Anthony of Padua, carved in 1985 by C. Cinetto. The side walls of the naves are decorated with a series of paintings by Andrea da Verona from the beginning of the 21st century, including the stories of Sant’Antonio Abate, the crucifixion, the resurrection, and the descent of the Holy Spirit.
The small paintings of the stations of the cross are interesting. They are drawn on sheets of rough paper and colored with chalk. These were made by a German refugee who was helped by some nuns during World War II.
On the back wall of the aps, the fresco of Sant’Antonio Abate was made by an unknown artist.
The ceiling decoration, with faux coffers, replaced the previous frescoes of the four evangelists around the middle of the 20th century.